Kee Hwang, Moo Duk Kwan® Founder, Part 3 (1960's) in a series of timelines about his life and the history of his Moo Duk Kwan® martial art school. Click on the hyperlinks to see historic photos in the history of the Moo Duk Kwan®
Hwang Kee Moo Duk Kwan® Martial Art School Founder and
Soo Bahk Do® and tang soo do martial art system creator
- 1960 June, Authored Tang Soo Do self-defense textbook
- 1960 June, Created name “Soo Bahk Do” from ancient name of Soo Bahk, Soo Bahk Ki, or Soo Bahk Hee
- 1960 June 30th, Moo Duk Kwan and Ji Do Kwan were joined as the Korean Soo Bahk Do Association, headed by Kwan Jang Nim Hwang Kee.
- 1960 September, Published Moo Yei Si Bo (Martial Arts Newspaper)
The monthly newspaper was published by the Korean Soo Bahk Do Association Moo Duk Kwan; 1st issue published on September 1, 1960, publication ended on April 1, 1961, with a total of 8 issues, due to the military coup on May 16, 1961, the publication was titled Moo Yei Si Bo.
- 1960 June 30th: Using ancient Korean martial arts name, incorporated and registered with the Korean Ministry of Education under the name of Dae Han Soo Bahk Do Hoe (Korean Soo Bahk Do Association) becoming the first member association.
Below is an except from the Moo Duk Kwan History showing the original certificate of incorporation of the Soo Bahk Do Association:
This is the beginning of the “Golden Era” for the Korean Soo Bahk Do Association, Moo Duk Kwan
- 1960-1962: Returning servicemen and others begin opening Tang Soo Do studios in U.S. including: Dale Drouilard (#757) in Wyandotte, Michigan / Robert Thompson(#1791) in Dayton Ohio / Lawrence Seiberlich(#1815) in St.Paul Min. / John Butterwick(#2277)Military / Robert Cheezic (#2278) Waterbury, CT., Carlos ‘Chuck’ Norris (#2819),Torrance Ca. / Frank Trojanowicz (#13333) / Joe Weeks(#3596),MagnoliaAr. Lynn Jackson(#3597) Oberlin, Ohio / James Ruston(#4130) Military / Russell Hanke (#4137)Detroit Mich., Robert Sohn (#6037) New York. / James Cummings(#4493)Military / Robert Shipley (#4825), Honolulu, Hi., David J. Praim(#3593), Mt. Clemems, MI, / Robert Beaudoin (#5657) Waterbury, CT. / Jong Hyan Lee (#1885), San Diego Ca. / Lynn Jackson (#3597) , Lorain Ohio / Ki Whang Kim (No Dan Bon) (Washington D.C.) / Shim Sang Kyu (#180) Wyandotte, Mi. / Ahn Kyong Won (#1763) Cincinnati, OH
- 1960 July: Ji Do Kwan becomes second member to join Korean Soo Bahk Do Association Moo Duk Kwan
- 1960 October: Instructors assigned to the following USA 8th Army branch studios: 8th Army Headquarters; Moon San: Kyu Sik Shin (#724), Dong Do Chun; Kyong Won Ahn (#1763) ; Inchon; Pusan: Jong Ha Lee
- 1961 May 14th: Formed the Asian Tang Soo Do Association among Korea, Japan and Taiwan
- 1961: Col. John T. Butterwick (#2277) put in charge of the first U.S. Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan
- 1961 May 16th: Military Revolution lead by Lt. General Park, Chong Hee begins.
- 1961-1965: Lt. General Park, Chong Hee and Korean Government forced Hwang Kee to stop the monthly publication of the Moo Yei Si Bo (Martial Arts Newspaper) and also released him as an instructor at the ROK
- 1961 May: Academy and National Police Academy with no reason. Both lead efforts to dissolve the Korean Soo Bahk Do Association, Moo Duk Kwan, and impede Hwang Kee's activities.
- 1961 June: Established Chun Buk Province regional branch
- 1961 June: Established Tang Soo Do studio at Hong Ik University
- 1961 October: Established Moo Duk Kwan in Michigan, USA.
- 1962 May: Established Tang Soo Do Association in USA
- 1962 May: Established Moo Duk Kwan in France
- 1962 September: Re-registered Korean Soo Bahk Do Association due to ruling of new government
- 1962 September: Established Tang Soo Do Association in Canada
- 1963: Ki Whang Kim comes to US (Washington D.C.) as Chairmen of Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan in US
- 1963 July: Established Tang Soo Do Association in England
- 1964: Shim Sang Kyu (#180) official representative of Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan in U.S. sponsored by Russell Hanke (#4137) to come to U.S. to the Detroit area
- 1964: Participated with Korean team in first Asian Tang Soo Do championship in Japan
- 1964 July: Established Tang Soo Do studio at Yeun Sae University
- 1964 November: Established West German Tang Soo Do Association
- 1964 December: Board of Directors of Soo Bahk Do changed and registered with government
- 1964 December: Moo Duk Kwan announces revised charter and by-laws
- 1965: Sponsored and organized Asian Tang Soo Do Championship
- 1965 January: Established Moo Duk Kwan branches in Washington D.C., New York, Michigan, California, Washington, Texas and Florida.
- 1965-1979: Efforts to dissolve the Moo Duk Kwan and unify with Tae Kwon Do, by Lt. General Choi, Hong, These include some of the following actions:
- Impediments to acquire passports/ visa's to travel to teach Soo Bahk Do.
- Political pressure on Moo Duk Kwan instructors to leave the Moo Duk Kwan and join Tae Kwon Do. (rank, materials, and political status)
- Attempts to destroy organizations record of rank and seniority.
- Revoking the registration and recognition of the same Korean Soo Bahk Do Association.
- Prohibited from attending international events.
- 1965 May: Korean Soo Bahk Do Association's Legal status revoked; decision appealed to appellate level and relief granted.
- 1965 August: Established Moo Duk Kwan in Philippines. Casimiro Grandeza (#2883)
- 1965 December 28th: Korean Government appeals appellate decision to Supreme Court, won the judgment
- 1966: Dr. Robert Sohn (#6037) forms the N.Y Moo Duk Kwan Association. He with Edward Gross (#6780), Vincent Nunno (#7291) were put in charge by Grandmaster Hwang Kee to oversee teaching and promotions in the N.Y. area.
- 1966 June 21st : Korean Government rules in favor of Korean Soo Bahk Do Association
- 1966 November: Revised Moo Duk Kwan regulations
- 1966 December: Revised charter and by-laws of Korean Soo Bahk Do Association as required by the Korean government.
- 1967: Established Moo Duk Kwan in Malaysia. Wha Yong Chung (#410), Soon Ho Chang (#3722).
- 1968: Sponsored and organized first World and fifth Asian Tang Soo Do Championship at Citizen Hall, Seoul
- 1968: August: Election of new Korean Soo Bahk Do Association Board of Directors and registration with the government.
- 1968: Established Moo Duk Kwan in Greece. George R. Page (#11772)
- 1969: Participated at the second World and sixth Asian Tang Soo Do Championship (Philippines)